The Natural Leadership of Don Bosco
As Salesians we are very fortunate to have Don Bosco as our model and guide. Not only was he a natural leader but he was able to articulate it in writing for his followers. He called it the Preventive System. He based it on the gentleness of St Francis de Sales who said that: you catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a barrel of vinegar’.
Don Bosco based his system on three pillars.
- Listen: to hear what the other person is saying before trying to offer a solution; to listen at a deeper level than the words that are spoken; to listen to the emotions and hurts that the tone gives.
- Act effectively, in awareness and without bias.
- Motivate people to their highest levels by offering opportunities not obligations.
- Provide what is nowadays called a “safe and secure environment” for youth, one in which they feel “at home”.
- Mentor youth by an example of integrity and “the kindly word in the ear”.
- “Not only must you love the young, but they must know that they are loved” he said.
- Treat young people with the utmost respect.
- Earn their confidence and be a steady guiding presence among them.
This form of leadership enables others to grow in a safe and loving environment. We all thrive on being accepted and loved as we are. It is so much better to do things out of love than out of fear.
SIYP Cape Town Senior Leadership Team:
- Hilton Nyirenda, CEO
- Ms Denise Orgill, Chief Financial Officer
- Ms Ingrid Hastings, Principal Learn to Live
- Mr Pedro Gomes, Program Coordinator PTRC-ZA
- Ms Mbuyi Jonqgo, Project Officer
- Ms Frieda Pehlivan, Communications Manager
- Mr Wiesiek Romanczuk, Facilities Manager
SIYP Board of Directors:
- Bernard Ashlin
- John Doidge (Chairman)
- Rick Earley
- Hugh Fynn
- Kizito Gugah
- Jeffrey Johnson SDB
- Barry Jordan
- Patrick Naughton SDB (Vice Chair)
- Lynn Stevens
- Heribert Trunk